Are You a Pinterest Failure Like me?
I just finished reading an article called ‘Pinterest stress” afflicts nearly half of moms, survey says. This article which I found on Today Moms, discusses how social media is both a blessing and a curse and how images of domestic harmony make us feel inadequate. This article does not surprise me in the least bit. Of the 7,000 moms that were interviewed, 42% said that sometimes suffer from Pinterest stress. I think the other 58% are either lying or don’t have a Pinterest account. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Pinterest and have found MANY great ideas, recipes, and DIY projects on there, but the fact is, I am one of the 42% who feels inadequate from time to time because I just can’t measure up to all of these cool moms who send their kids creative lunches and have perfect wardrobes to fit their perfectly fit bodies. I don’t have an immaculately clean house (and never have) or make my own deodorant. I can’t even keep my own brain straight half the time much less remember if my kid took a shower that day or not (or that week for that matter!).
Jenna Anderson, the creator of the blog, Pinterest Fail, even goes so far as to say, “Pinterest is largely a site of unrealized dreams.” It is sad that something as simple as a website created to give people ideas and inspiration has turned out to be such a source of inadequacy for so many women. I find myself from time to time thinking, is this Pinterest worthy? I have even spent time thinking about gifts that I make for people or birthday party ideas in such a way to wonder if someone might pin my idea on Pinterest. Now that is ridiculous. It takes the fun and joy out of life when we become so consumed with wondering if others will approve of our creations, when in reality, it is hard enough to feel good about ourselves. We can be our own worst enemy in life and feeling like a load of garbage because of a website is pure insanity.
I will be the very first to admit that I tend to post pictures of my successes in life on Facebook, my blog, and Pinterest, but I have had more failures than successes in most of my “projects”. I have burned and ruined more cookies that I can count, have thrown out my fair share of craft projects that were hideous, bought a ton of craft supplies only to realize that I stink at knitting or jewelry making and made some horrible supper that would rather forget. I don’t enjoy spending my time exercising and will probably never have the perfect body that all the Pinterest post outfits would look cute on. I eat too much junk food and would much rather make fudge than eat a healthy snack of carrots and hummus.
So what is the point of all of this? Why do we strive so hard to look like and be like someone we are not? We want approval. We want the rest of the world to think we have it all together when inside we are likely falling apart. We don’t want to feel inferior to others around us. We want people to look at us as the one who is crafty, creative, beautiful, and totally with it. But guess what? We can try as hard as we want and burn ourselves out trying to have this idea of a perfect Pinterest life, but it ain’t gonna happen. The sooner that realization is found, the sooner we can get on with living. We can forget about our inadequacies and just be ourselves, flaws and all.
I want my life to be more about how I have loved others and shown God’s love to the world around me than being the image of perfection. I want to be remembered as a generous individual who would give my last penny to help someone than to be remembered as the lady who was so “pin-perfect”. I want to give gifts out of the kindness of my heart (with a bit of creative inspiration) because it is what I love to do not because I think others will think I am cooler because of it. I want to feel adequate just because I am me, not with strings attached. This doesn’t mean that I am going to stop doing the things I love because I truly do love to craft, create, bake, and do crazy cool things…that is me and I have no interest in changing that! It is just a matter of perspective change. A change of mindset. A change of thought process from one of feeling like I am not good enough because I can’t do everything perfect to one of being thankful for my abilities and being okay with my inabilities. God created us all different with different gifts that He wants us to use to make this world a better place. We all just need to stop wishing we had other people’s gifts and abilities and start using our own talents. When we stop comparing ourselves with others, we can see our own colors shine through.